What is a Reading Cafe?
A Reading Cafe session lasts between 60-90 minutes depending on the year group, book and activity selected. The session consists of five main parts:
- A book is introduced, shared and enjoyed by the children, parents/carers and staff.
- A follow-on 'high quality' art/craft activity is modelled. The activity needs to be linked to the book, relatively cheap and ideally replicable at home.
- Some family art/craft activity time (other activities can be introduced as the confidence and engagement of families increases but, in my experience, it is best if everyone works on the same activity for the first couple of sessions).
- A celebration of what has been achieved.
- Refreshments, alongside time to browse and borrow books from the school/class library.